Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Have you thanked your heart lately?

Last night I was having trouble falling asleep. 
(as usual)

So, I thought I would try a relaxation technique I learned in junior high.
 *Thank you modern dance class.* 
I'm sure you've all done this before; you just focus on one body part at a time, moving slowly through the body, relaxing the sections as you go. 
It takes serious brain power to focus/meditate and that is diff-i-cult for me. 
I started at my finger tips and work my way through my arms, up through my shoulders and was led to my lungs. 
I focused on my lungs for a moment, picturing them inside my chest; inflating, and deflating

inflating...

and deflating...

and I followed the flow of the oxygen to my heart. 

I was surprised at the flow of emotion that came over me as I pictured my very own heart, right there, beating it's little jig just as it should. Suddenly I was overcome with gratitude. I stayed in this thought for as long as my ever racing brain would let me, and visualized the contracting. I was in awe at the magnificence of my body. The blood flowing, constantly moving, healing, giving life. This entire team of organs and such working diligently, nonstop while I never even give it a second thought. If I do happen to give my body a thought it's negative. (I'm fat, too short, and don't even get me started on my RA)

I took a moment to say thank you to my heart. 
I think it was a big moment in my relationship with my body. 

**I can picture my mother's face at this moment and she's thinking, "What in the world has my daughter turned in to? Some naturo-freak who talks to her heart!?" She must be so proud. **

I think I shall make this a nightly ritual. My body and I have a rocky relationship and we've got a long way to go, but I think I just discovered a good place to start. 

4 comments:

Katrina said...

I LOVE this...and I LOVE you!

Merm said...

Dr. Mike would be so proud! ;)

What a lovely exercise! I think I might try this!

Gentri said...

I love this! :D I'm proud of you. Mom might not be into this sort of thing, but I am. haha! I'm going to try this too. Although I'm still in the stage where I fall asleep the second my head hits the pillow... (knock on wood)

Bobbi Mason said...

LOVE IT!