Monday, July 23, 2012

# 1 Small town in America

On Saturday we ventured into Georgia country to visit a small town named Madison. 

Some facts about Madison, GA:
* Travel Magazine rated it the #1 small town in America 

* During the civil war when General Sherman ordered all of the towns in GA to be burned he made an exception for Madison because it was so beautiful. 

* The architecture for most of the Antebellum style homes in Madison have been amazingly preserved and restored. 

Here are a few of the many pictures I took:
(pictures are via Instagram)




Every street was just full of character and beauty, a photographers dream!
 



 This is my dream house:

It was about a mile walk around the main part of town to see the majority of the homes and buildings. 
Henry was just being a wimp and Lydia refused to take my advise and wear comfortable shoes. She has to learn all her lessons the hard way: 

It was SO hot and humid. I was just dripping sweat, and of course I showered and blew my hair dry that morning. I guess I have to learn my lessons the hard way too. 

This sign was hilarious, I thought:
*Historical Marker*
At this Location
On this very day
In 1862
Absolutely Nothing
Happened

 The antique shops were numerous and dreamy.
Most of the furniture had tags with the items history on it which made each piece even more sentimental and appealing. It was the thousands of dollars on each price tag that deterred me. 






Funny story here:
The house looked empty. 
There were no cars and it was quiet. So I started snooping in the 19th century windows and taking pictures and suddenly an old lady pops in m face and closes the inside shutters. It scared me to pieces! 
...and I felt bad for snooping. 

I did some shopping at a few great boutiques on main street and Scott took the kids to get ice cream and it was a wonderful day!