Monday, May 16, 2011

Naturopath or Psychopath?

As I've stated before, I'm willing to try just about anything before I begin taking freaky drugs to manage my Rheumatoid Arthritis.

When I say anything, I mean it.

2 weeks ago I began seeing a Naturopath. He tested my body, my organs and such and we figured out a plan. I now visit him once a week and am taking a whole regiment of supplements:


My morning routine looks like this:

Along with 12 drops of artichoke leaf juice added to water. (who would've thought?)

He is also helping me with my eating habits. Trying to reduce and/or eliminate all processed foods. On my first day he talked me through the difference between food and products. Food is something that is either grown or had a mother. (meat and plants) Products are anything else. The human body was not made to digest products and I tell ya, I definitely feel a huge difference when I eat real food for an entire day. But lets face it, I'm addicted to processed foods. We're working on that. On his business card he has the quote, "Let your food be your medicine, and let your medicine be your food." - Hippocrates

My hubby is not so excited about this direction I'm going. He's VERY skeptical. But he's being supportive as he can and I've promised to be objective and honest in my conclusion. We have agreed to a 12 week trial. (it worked out because that's when we move away)

However, I will tell you that I feel great! Today in class only my left ankle hurt, and only during one movement. Usually it's both ankles, my knees, my shoulder, my hands, my toes, and so on and so forth.
People keep telling me I look good and several have asked me if I've lost weight. NOPE! I wish. However, I think what they're seeing is a Chablis who doesn't look run down, exhausted, and sick. So, you tell me: naturopath or psychopath?

10 comments:

Susan said...

I don't think it matters if you are feeling better that is all that counts!! Ryker has been taking bunches of herbal supplements and only eats non-processed food- to the extreme. He is better than I have seen him in years- seriously better! Keep it up I am slowly following in your footsteps- I need recipes for my non-cooking self!

Cathie said...

Yay, yay, yay! I am SO HAPPY that you feel better. I say naturopath! I hope that it continues to work for you. I think I'm going to start eliminating the process foods the best I can starting...NOW! It is such a better way, but I have a LOONNG way to go.
I was WAY behind with your blog. I love Lydia - how cute is she giving fasion advise! I am a fan! She is growing up! I love that she is such a good big sister.
Also, I totally want to see where you are living so PLEASE send me the link!
Love you lots!
Cathie

jill 'E' jam said...

Yay! I'm so glad it's working for you!!! I'm thinking there is something to this "food" thing so I will anxiously watch you so I can follow after the baby's born. You're awesome!!

Katrina said...

I started going to a chiropractor a few months ago and he is very natural about all of his treatments. His wife is a Naturopath and they do this treatment where they have you hold the pills and push on your arms and stuff to decide how much you need! Is this similar to your process? It is crazy weird....BUT...I was really iron deficient the last 2 months of my pregnancy and nothing was helping. They put me on 3 different Standard Process food supplements...I recognize your Catalyn! I'm also on Ferrofood and Tuna Omega-3 Chewable. I felt SO much better almost instantly. Good luck Chablis!

michellecluff said...

nice! i'm so glad you're feeling a little better! you're a stronger woman than i, that's for sure. maybe someday i'll join you. til then, where's my oreos? :)

Bobbi Mason said...

I think that rocks!!! I think we should all board your ship!! I am so glad that you are feeling better!

Melissa: Write it in Lipstick said...

My Dad is a naturopathic doctor so I so believe in this. Hubby was a non believer until he got sick and Dad helped him recover with natural medicine now he talk him up to non believers.

Ashley said...

The results will tell you all you need to know. Do you feel better physically and most importantly, do you have peace of mind in your decisions? My entire family are advocates of naturopathic alternatives to healing, and the benefits on my psychic well being are usually enough to convince me! In any case, I'm happy to hear that you are feeling better:) xx

Karls said...

If it feels good, I say, keep doing it. The proof is in the pudding... made from scratch and completely of wholefoods of course!

Charity said...

I think there is a definite place for Natural Medicine, as well as Modern Medicine. Let's face it, with my husband prescribing modern medicine every day I might be a little biased, however, He has said on more than one occasion that too many people are over prescribed and under educated and that if we would live cleaner lifestyles we would all be better off...I say if you are living the Word of Wisdom, and eating better is helping, go for it. I think we could all be a little better about our eating habits. Right?