Thursday, February 16, 2012

I've been doing some very serious research

Sugar is still my nemesis. 

And while my new paleo diet prevents me from eating grains and sugar I still find that sugar is sneaky and makes it's way into my daily life anyway. 
Mostly because of fruit. I'm not supposed to be eating a lot of fruit. Maybe one serving a day or so. 
But I eat a lot of fruit...

and chocolate. 

So, my paleo research has found that a little bit of dark chocolate is okay. 
I am usually very good at only having a half a serving a day. 
And with my servings being so limited I made it a priority to find the BEST dark chocolate. 

To be truly dark enough to receive antioxidant benefits it MUST be at least 70% cocao
Preferably 80%. 

I've found that 80% and higher just makes the chocolate chalky. 
I'm not a fan. 
I could probably eat more volume if I ate the 80%, but I find it much more satisfying to eat a bar that is 72% cocao and only eat a little bit. 

I'm pretty SERIOUS about my chocolate. 

Here are the different kinds I've tried and my ratings:

Once you're used to the good stuff, Hershey's just has a waxy taste to it.  
It's creamy, but the flavor is lacking. 

 I decided to go out on a limb here and try a small(ish) company. 
I mean, it's organic and it was expensive. 
YUCK!
This was by far the worst  kind. 
I even threw the bar away. 
It's bitter and chalky. Fail. 
Ghiradelli is good.
It's the easiest to find and I'll take it. 

But the absolute best is: 


Godiva - you are my eatable valentine. 

You. Are. Welcome. 
For this random and probably useless information.