Thursday, June 24, 2010

Catching up and freaking out.

Here are a few more pictures from our time with Scott.

Our trip to the Hogle Zoo was as successful as you could expect.

This pretty much sums up our experience:

This actually pretty much sums up my life.

Why must taking a family picture be such a challenge?

Moving on...

This counts as my children taking acting lessons for the summer:




This was Henry's only consolation as he attempted to jump into every animal exhibit.

A brass statue of an animal to climb on would have to suffice.

And to the "freaking out" part of my title.

Decisions.

Is it all in my head or am I constantly bombarded by all these crazy options for my life that make my head spin?

I'll just give you a quick rundown of what Scott and I are trying to sort through right now:

1. We were told that we will move away from AK in December of 2011 which means we'll have a good 18 months when we get back after deployment. So, should we buy a house???

**If we did buy a house the plan is to keep it and rent it out. Our realtor is also an awesome property manager. Being so close to both an Army and an Air Force base keeps the demand for rentals high...supposedly. If it all worked out perfectly it would be so smart.**

2. Should I stay in Utah, start Gracie in school here (for only 6 weeks) then transfer her back to school in AK? Or...should I just go back to AK without Scott in Aug. so Gracie doesn't get whip lash?

3. Should I torture my family by leaving my kids to visit Scott in Cuba for a week? It would be pricey...if we decide to buy a house is that the smartest financial decision?

Input...anybody?

4 comments:

RN and OSHP said...

Our house has been on the market for over 2 years. It is only 5 years old so it's pretty nice. I would say don't buy one unless you have plenty of time to sell one because it can take a LONG time these days!

Melinda H. said...

Greg and I have a rule we go by, if we are going to be in one certain place longer than two years, we buy. But your situation is a little different. I have some friends who bought a 4-plex off boniface and then they deployed to NC. They still own the 4-plex and rent it out with a property manager. Maybe if you have a house here it will tie you to AK and you'll come back for good? I know I am dreaming, but we would love you to be permanent one day.

As for Gracie, I would find out how much transferring paperwork is involved when you start her in a new school and transfer her to another (Birchwood I hope!).

I think you should just fly out here and stay with us until you find somewhere to live. Then just you fly home (leave your kids with me) and you and Scott drive your car out here, all alone. Some well deserved time together ;)

I also think you should go visit scott for a week. You'll be fine with money and all, and how much fun you will have!!

I'm pulling for you and any decision you make! Love you!

j said...

ok, lady. here's the deal, i'm not great with financial issues. we bought a house in a university town and we totally sold it rather than deal with even a property manager because i didn't want to deal with it. and because we weren't sure we'd EVER go back there.

anywho-i've got a friend with rentals in both prague and pullman- and she only recently sold them and they seemed to be good investments for her. if you weren't thinking of renting it out, i'd not do it, but if you are...

btw- before i forget. henry and taegen need to hang out. those boys could do so much damage together...

ah gracie. she's pretty adaptive from what i've seen- so i'd go by her reactions. how does she do with transitions? kellen is not so good with change- i'd either keep him out and homeschool him til we moved up or move up early with him because he'd go ballistic with that many changes.

and here is the only advice i've ever received when you are in a situation like yours when you can go and visit: do whatever you need to do to be together for as long as possible. my bishop when shane got deployed to germany told me this- and despite the debt involved, we moved me over to have the baby. it was worth it. we're still paying for that one. :)

and seriously- if i had the opportunity to go ANYWHERE at this point i'd go. i'm so stinking sick of anchorage right now!!! it's been OVER A YEAR since i've been out of the state!!! and i've had no child-free vacation time. it's driving me nuts.

Bobbi Mason said...

You've got good advice already! You know my preference, so I am a little biased. I seem to agree with Melinda %100. She is one smart cookie.

The house thing, I would buy if you really trust your realator, might be a little biased in your purchase if he has a staked in it, if you know what I mean.

Cuba, I would go...even with the money thing. Every time I think something that I really want to do it too expensive and go ahead and do it anyway, I've never regretted it. Really, when will you ever go to Cuba again?

Love, love!