Monday, October 25, 2010

A weekend lesson in humility

  This weekend I spent roughly 20 + hours training to be certified in teaching one of these classes:
The process was
  grueling. Exhausting. Sobering. 

Nothing brings you back to home like being forced to teach a 6 minute section of a new to you subject that you first did only hours ago while not only doing the choreography perfectly, but adding in cues for the participants and being video recorded...then having to watch it and hear criticism. 

Now, to be fair my instructor was very gracious and kind. 
The truth was, I caught on somewhat quickly and could do the choreography and "cueing" decently. 

But I saw on t.v. what other people see. 
The reason I rarely look in a mirror. 
Chubby. 

I wish I knew what my instructor was really thinking. 
Was he on the edge of telling me I don't fit into the "look the part" of the compulsory elements?
We spent a good amount of time discussing this "look the part" subject in class. 
I guess I'll never know.  

I know, you're all rolling your eyes. But truly, as I watched the video I felt like a walking contradiction. 
Underneath my chubs, there is a physically fit person there. 

But no one is going to be inspired and motivated in an exercise class with an overweight instructor. 

This is something I really want to do. 
We shall see how I overcome this hurdle. 

On another sobering note:

Scott ordered this movie on Netflix:


BBC- The Diary of Anne Frank
filmed and released in 2009

I was annoyed and obnoxious about having to watch this. 

Admittedly I have never been an Anne Frank fan. 
As I was forced to read this in school when I was young I rebelled against the idea that any young person had a harder life than I. 
I disliked the book and wrote off any other production of her diary. 

Now that I am grown up, I can really appreciate how amazing this story is. 

I cried. 
It's so sad to tell you that I totally thought Anne and her family survived. 
(this shows you how well I digested the story as a youngin')

This isn't a movie I would watch on a regular basis. 
(as opposed to Pride & Prejudice, or Shopoholic, or any Doris Day movie)

However, this was a great film. 
I would recommend it to anyone and will definitely be showing it to my children when they get older. 
(though there is a "bare bum" showing... I would have to edit that out)

6 comments:

Gentri said...

Aw Chib. I'm so sorry you're feeling so down. I hope you feel better soon. You are a great teacher and would be awesome. They're dumb if they don't hire you. i really want to watch that now. I didn't know they made a movie of Anne Frank. I love learning about WWII. I should rent that.

jill 'E' jam said...

Where will you be teaching? I love step! A class would be fun! :D

My Garden of Eden said...

Chablis,

I am so sorry you felt so down. I will tell you though in my aerobic classes my favorite teacher was one you wouldn't think "fit" the part. The reason why is I didn't feel intimidated or judged in her class! She was an amazing teacher and one who I just adored!! Good luck with everything! We all know you are so great!

Abbi

Smith Family said...

I like Abbi comment! I agree completely. Sometimes the gym can be intimidating and I think that's the reason it's hard for some people to go! You are NOT chubby you are a hot momma ;-), and I know you can make everyone feel welcome and happy to be in your class!!
I tried out a special class last night where we learned a thriller dance. It was so fun. Although I'm pretty sure the guy just outside the window in the weight room will probably put my sorry attempt at dancing on youtube at least I was there and had fun! :-)

Merm said...

Oh man! I am proud of you for going to a weekend of getting certified! I don't think I could handle the pressure of learning a routine and teaching it. Just the thought of it makes me nervous. I am excited for you to teach. I am enrolling myself in your class. And Zanna in your dance class! Oh and I am going to your dance class... and you are going to be sad you ever met me because I am going to come over to your house daily and make you teach me more dance and step! Ha ha ha!!

Rob and Andra Mahoney said...

It's such a hard thing - feeling/being overweight. It's so wonderful to have such great friends though! What wonderful comments you have posted!

I definitely know the feeling though. I look at myself, rarely, in the mirror. It's hard to believe that I weigh now, what I do. The worst realization is going to the doctor for some issues and them telling you that if you lost weigh, your issues would go away. I know what I meed to do, I'm just trying so hard to do it every day.

You're a wonderfully strong person! I know you'll succeed at whatever you set your mind to!