Friday, April 8, 2011

Health Nut

While my doctor strongly suggests that I begin taking a drug called "methotrexate",
 I feel completely unprepared to be taking such a pill and adjusting my life to the ill side effects. Though I understand this drug is most certainly going to be a part of my future,
  I'm not ready to take the plunge just yet. 

I am certainly not a healthy eater by ANY standards, but I understand and believe that healthy eating is the foundation to good health. I can preach this, but can't seem to dedicate myself 100%. 
(hypocrite)
I struggle with:

*Addiction. 

*Sugar. 

*Carbohydrates.

*Anything easy to cook for my family, which means preservatives, chemicals, white flours, sodium, sugar, etc. 
(that wasn't always the case)

I would love to be one of those people who eat to live. 
Unfortunately, I live to eat. 

On my slow pathway to healthful eating I've been trying to research and make good informed decisions on the foods I do bring into my home. Trying to change the things that are no big deal, that would easily go unnoticed by my family. 

I've been trying to purchase as many vegetables as I do fruit. Fruit is easy for my family to consume, vegetables are great at dinner, but incorporating them into the rest of the day has proven challenging.

Dr. Oz (love him!) suggested replacing all grains with broccoli and cauliflower for a week to get a jump start on a sugar detox. I'm rolling this one around in my head wondering if I could pull it off.  

Here are a few of the additions I've added to my pantry:


Coconut oil

This stuff tastes amazing on toast with a smidgen of honey. Plus, it's got so many health benefits I can't even begin to list. I've also exchanged it for shortening in my cookie recipe and they turned out great!
 For more info on coconut oil you can go HERE. 

Next up is:


 Kombucha. 

Say wha....?

I know. 

I don't give this to my children, nore does my hubby enjoy it, but I feel it working in my body and I love it! 
While Kombucha can be made at home....yeah right. Plus, the Synergy company adds great fruit juices to really give it a great flavor. You can read about Kombucha HERE.



Now, this is a little controversial:
Raw milk. 

I am convinced that by purchasing raw milk (aka: milk that hasn't been pasteurized) from dairy farmers who take good care of their pastures and cows will have many health benefits. 

My husband is not so convinced. Therefore, due to the extra cost and inconvenience of stocking up on this great stuff, I will probably not push the issue in my home. 
At least for now. 

My hope is that I will soften my husband's ideas and eventually  have his support on this issue. 
The fact that he is a stubborn lawyer will make this process next to impossible. 

You can find a plethora of arguments about raw vs. homogenized milk supporting both extremes of the spectrum. I have yet to find a good balanced article. 

To read about the health benefits of raw milk, go HERE. 

To read the "dangers" of raw milk, go HERE.

9 comments:

Susan said...

Yay for you and a healthier lifestyle! Ken's brother and his wife actually do make the the Kombuchu tea at home and have the "mother"- it's pretty gross:)

Jeff and Brandi said...

Hey girl! My mom has an autoimmune disease that acts like leukemia. She was diagnosed about three yrs ago. Methotrexate is one of her weekly drugs that she takes. In the beginning it was awful. She was sooo sick, but she does really well on it now. She takes it Friday morning. By the evening she feels pretty sick...fluish. By Saturday night or Sunday morning she is feeling better. If you drink a ton of water it helps lessen the side effects. Good luck with the healthy eating! I hope it delays the med for you! My mom would be happy to chat with you about it if you need!

brooke field said...

i am in the same boat when it comes to wanting/trying to buy healthier ingredients BUT husband makes it near impossible. even if he hears the word healthy, or whole wheat he decides he hates the taste before he takes a bite. the only thing i really push is organic sugar because it is amazing. i have yet to try coconut oil but really want to so i can makes these http://warmhomemadebread.blogspot.com/2011/03/whole-grain-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

Brooke said...

You are amazing! Yeah for healthy eating....I need help with carbs and sugar so badly. But as I am typing, I am also eating Easter candy. MONDAY, I'm going to do it!

Gentri said...

I am so sorry you have to (eventually) take that medicine. :'( But, I'm glad that you are trying to stay so positive and find the positive things you can add to your life to help. :) LOVE you!

Rob and Andra Mahoney said...

Good luck to you Chablis! It's hard, I know that first hand. I was diagnosed not too long ago with PCOS and my Dr. told me that changing my diet was most important. BUT IT IS SO HARD! She didn't want to put me on meds, but then I came up insulin resistant as well, so I'm on Metformin. But she still recommends a dietary change. And weight loss. I lost 10 of the 19 needed pounds, just need to shake those last 9. Anyway, I feel you about the live to eat thing. I wish you the best, I know how are it is. But you're awesome and you can do it!!!

Cathie said...

Bravo Chablis! You are inspiring and I need you here to help me make healthy changes. ... Will you stay? PLEEAAASSSEEE?

Nielsen Family said...

Love you, Chablis!!! You have the right attitude to accomplish a healthier lifestyle! You are amazing and inspiring!

Leslie Dow said...

you should check out: http://www.jamieoliver.com/ he has some really great healthy eating tips and he has kids so he has some good ones for them too. I have never made anything of his that I don't LOVE! His show food revolution is on tuesday nights and is all about eating healthy. its awesome and really revs me up to eat healthier!