Saturday, June 11, 2011

For your {depressive} viewing pleasure

Hubby has been on a roll. 

Picking DEE-pressing movies to watch. 

I mean, come on! I need to catch a break. 

I don't think he meant to do killjoy overload, it just happened to be that was how Netflix sent them to us. 

But still, I need some SNL stat! 

Just in case you enjoy sad movies (which occasionally, I do, but 4 in a week is over kill babe) here are 
the ones we viewed and here is what I have to say:



This movie is about a father who is taking care of his two daughters while his wife is deployed to Afghanistan and is killed in battle. The entire hour is how he copes with and figures out how to tell the girls she has died. 
I didn't relate to this movie at all. I would have reacted in a completely different manner and that agitated me. I think John Cusak made this as an "anti-war" cry, but I didn't really get that message, which was good. I would have been mad if it had been blatant and negative.  

**********************************************************


The story of 3 women in Afghanistan. A daughter, a mother, and a grandmother. Mostly the daughter. 
You spend the entire movie thinking the story will take a turn for the better and the little girl will be rescued. 
If you decide to watch this movie, don't be so fooled. It just gets increasingly sadder until her life "theoretically" ends. I think I moped, with a 6 inch hump in my back, all the way to bed. 



*****************************************************************



This movie is such a contradiction. It is fabulous, intriguing, "witty", smart, and fun because the dialog is amazing. I admit I was quite enamored by Emma Thompson's numerous monologues. Though, if you are not paying attention you will miss the many clever points made. It's quick and not for the "simple" minded. 
Emma plays a woman who is diagnosed with ovarian cancer and the movie follows her experience through treatment. I can imagine this movie would hit very close to home
 for those who have dealt directly with cancer. 
Warning: This does not have a happy ending. But...it was good. Sad. But good. 



***************************************************************




**After narrowly escaping from a wretched World War II Siberian labor camp, a small band of multinational soldiers desperately undertakes a harrowing journey to traverse Siberia, the Gobi Desert and the Himalayas on foot.**

So, I just copied and pasted what the description was on Netflix. Please, I could not have explained this movie in one sentence. It was long, and frustrating because I would have rather rolled over and died than do what they did. But it made for an interesting story I suppose. The saddest part is that the book that inspired this movie was supposed to be a "true" one. It was later discovered that the author, and main character, made it all up and was actually just released from his Siberian prison not too long after he was thrown in. 


***********************************************************


This movie is not particularly depressing
 (which is why I only mentioned watching 4 depressing movies, not 5).
My hubby is an obsessive runner. From being a very competitive collegiate track star to dedicated marathon runner he (obviously) fell in love with this movie. He actually watched it several weeks ago and I went to bed rolling my eyes and saying, "Enjoy your movie". 
He added it to our "cue" again so he could force me to watch it. 
I get that it's supposed to be inspiring, but for some like me, you may walk away from this movie thinking,
 "Boy am I a schmuck. I can't even run one marathon."  
Of course this may just be the pessimistic side effects of the previous 4 movies we watched. 
Dean Karnazes is a likable guy and he is quite impressive. I suppose I admire him for being so driven and inspiring so many people. I still have no desire to ever run a marathon, but maybe I won't complain about going for a run as much as I used to. 

So, there you go. Have I inspired any of you to go have a "sob fest"?


Didn't think so. 

5 comments:

Gentri said...

Hmmm, I may be going to bed at the same time as the kids if it's always sad movies... Haha! Really though, I am not a sad movie person. I am sure these are great and informative, but I can't handle sad. That last one sounds interesting. I need some running inspiration.

Scott's Notes said...

I was trying to be adventerous; it was just a coincidence they were all depressing. My thoughts- Grace is gone is an interesting idea but not well developed- not worth two hours. Osama is a horrible movie, unless you did not know the Taliban is bad; Wit is awesome! I loved, loved it and recommend it to anyone; the way back is good but feels rushed. The whole time I was feeling skeptical about the whether this "true" story was possible, then confirmed my skepticism later. Finally, Ultramarathon man was great. It was very well done and is inspiring, if not humbling.

jill 'E' jam said...

My husband better not ever read this post or he will have every single one of those movies lined up for us to watch. Our husbands must be related! Thanks for the heads up. Your posts crack me up ;)

Merm said...

Hmmm, yes they all (but the last one) do look rather depressing. Which I will admit... I like a sad movie every once in a while. Usually when I just need to have a good cry!

Megan said...

I watched Osama in one of my humanities classes. soo sad but really enlightening about some of the struggles of people in the middle east and all of the sad stuff that goes on! :(
and that ultra runner one sounds really interesting! I am not a runner (I run about once every five months...just to remind myself why I don't run the rest of the year) but I have always wished I loved running!
has your husband read the book Born To Run?

Megan
letterstorome.blogspot.com